Friday, March 30, 2012

We have strawberries!

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my garden here. The weather has been so nice I decided to get a head start on this year's garden. After 2 weeks, my garden is already producing!

Strawberries

When I was looking through my strawberries I was delighted to see some small yellow ones forming. Then as I was about to move away I saw a tiny red strawberry ready for picking.



It was the best strawberry ever! I love that growing your own food makes it taste so much better because of the hard work you put into it.


Salad bed


Mint and arugula

Can you see the mini broccoli below


Lettuce
Brussel Sprouts

The bottom plant is a brussel sprout and I had no idea where the brussels grow on the plant, so I did some research and found out that they grow on the stem and aren't ready until October.


Blueberries


The blueberries have gotten a lot bigger, now I'm just waiting for them to turn blue.


Since the initial post I went ahead and made a new bed shown below and started green beans and peas in it. There is a trellis behind them so they should be able to climb it.


Only a week later and they have grown so much!


Peas



Green beans 






The trays above have artichokes, green beans, and peas started.

Green peppers, Chives, & Cilantro

After I created that bed, I planted some green peppers. The plant in the back right is my chives from last year. They came back bigger and better and to the middle right is cilantro from last year.


Tomatoes
 
Next I planted some tomatoes, including white, zebra, and purple ones. I was running out of room so most of them are in pots.




I also planted some eggplant, but didn't have a chance to get a picture.

Flower beds

Finally, John and I spent all last weekend weeding, mulching, and getting the other parts of our garden together. I'm very happy with how it turned out.





No comments:

Post a Comment