Monday, October 17, 2011

Border Patrol!

Ok so John and I have been staring at this crazy border in our informal living room for over a year now.

We have no idea what the guy before us was thinking, but it had to go. It looks especially bad up against our NYC print, shown below



I was dreading scraping down the wallpaper border, but since we just ordered this new couch in the sea foam color, I figured it was time to start working on that room!


For some crazy reason I did not get any pictures of me actually scrapping the wallpaper border off, but I'll try to run down what I did to take it down.

Supplies:
I bought wallpaper remover that was already in a spray bottle, got a putty knife, a step ladder and some wet paper towels.

Instructions:
First I sprayed a small section of the wallpaper border with the wallpaper remover and let it sit 3 minutes (according to the instructions on the remover bottle). Then I used my putty knife to get under the top layer of the wallpaper and scrape only the edge up. Once the edge was up I was able to pull it off in large pieces. It was seriously super easy. I was so excited that this project might not take all day! Then once I removed the top layer of the wallpaper around the whole room using the same process, I sprayed the bottom layer of the wallpaper and waited 3 minutes. I was able to use my putty knife and pull that up easily too! The whole thing came down in 5 large strips! However, I would recommend opening  a window when doing this because the fumes we pretty bad. Then I used several wet paper towels to wipe down anywhere that the wallpaper remover touched. Then I let everything dry.


Here are some before pictures of the informal living room






Here are the afters






It's a huge improvement! I am so happy and now I am not afraid to tackle the other border in our house located in the guest bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment