Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Informal Living Room Finished

Ok so John and I started working on remodeling our informal living room back in September.

This was how it looked originally.









First I started the remodel with the removal of the awful border. More information on how I did that can be found here.

Then I knew I wanted darkish gray walls, with a white chair rail with boxed molding, so I began to paint. I originally painted the room Ashes by Behr, but it was a lot lighter than I was wanting so I went back and got it darkened to Cement by Martha Stewart. John and I decided we wanted the chair rail 3 feet high (measured from the floor). So I measured 3 feet up from the floor and drew a straight line all around the room. Once the line was made we were able to evaluate if we liked the height. Luckily, we were happy with the 3 feet. Then I painted the Cement color down to that line and primed everything below that line.

Then John and I went to Lowe's and picked out the molding we wanted for our chair rail and lighted crown molding. We installed the chair rail (more on how we did that here) and John installed the lighted crown molding. A how-to-guide for the lighted crown will be posted soon. So after a while it was looking like this


ll the molding was installed we painted it a creamy white. Our house was built in 1915 and during that time period white was made with yellows and reds. Later one bright whites made with blue undertones were popularized. We tried to stay somewhat period and used a creamy white.

To complete the renovation we got some new furniture mentioned here and here. We also DIYed an old brass chandelier mentioned here

We also decided to rearrange the furniture. Previously the couch was up against the one wall and the TV was directly across from it. This gave us very little left over room for more seating. So to increase seating we moved the couch in front of the windows and put the two chairs on either side and put the TV on the smaller side wall which wasn't utilized before.

Here are the after pictures!









So once again here's the before


And here's the after


1 comment: