Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What to do with Green Tomatoes

So this August in Arkansas it was unusually hot. As a result, most of my garden stopped producing vegetables. However, once things cooled down a bit in September and October, my plants started making up for lost time. Our first frost here in Arkansas wasn't until the end of November, so I had tons of tomatoes but most of them were green.




I put half in my window sill and the other half in a brown paper bag with an apple. The majority of them turned red after a week or so and they were absolutely delicious. It was so nice to be able to have a garden fresh tomato in December. However, I was still left with a lot of green tomatoes. My first thought was to make fried green tomatoes, but then I started thinking about making some green tomato salsa with them. So I came up with this crazy recipe and it was delicious! It's a great way to use up green tomatoes.

Ingredients:
6 large green tomatoes (diced)
1/2 cup of diced onion
3 avocados (diced)
2 tbsp cilantro
1 jalapeno (finely diced)
2 limes
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic

Directions:
Combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and avocado in a serving bowl. Juice the limes and add to the bowl. Then add seasoning and stir. I let mine salsa sit in the frig overnight to let the flavors meld, but I also ate some right after and it was tasty too.


No comments:

Post a Comment